Dallas' Current Score

-173

Here's the game:

We’ve given Dallas a starting point value of -124. Every week or so, we’ll try out something new and report back. If Dallas sucks even a smidge less as a result of our outing, we’ll give the Big D some points back. But if it sucks or the city does something particularly heinous, Dallas will sink further into negative territory. Can Dallas break even before we escape?

Sunday, April 18, 2010

GIRL SUCK

On Thursday, word got to me that Big Boi from Outkast and Girl Talk were going to play a free show at the SMU campus. I thought that it sounded too good to be true, and if it did happen, would be overcrowded with the typical SMU frat guys and sorority girls. Much to my surprise, I got a message from my friend saying that it was actually happening, and not crowded at all. I quickly grabbed a few friends and headed that way. Unfortunately, we walked up right as Big Boi finished, but we made it in time to watch the main act. A minute later, a girl came on stage and announced, "Sorry, I have a little bad news. We've been shut down." After a few chants of "Bull Shit" and frequent booing, we soon came to realize that, in fact, he wasn't going to play at all. They had placed the venue on campus in a place that was close enough to a neighborhood, and had received numerous noise complaints (later reports surfaced saying there were about 30). I stuck around a little longer to see if there would be any riots, but unfortunately, that didn't happen.

We decided to cap off the night with a few beers at Trinity. On the way, we ran into some people that said they heard Girl Talk was going to play at Deux since he didn't get to play at SMU. Deux is a bar that fulfills everything you would expect from a one syllable night club - full of Jersey Shore types ordering a plethora of Jagerbombs. After some skepticism, we asked the guy working the front door. He said he didn't know anything about it, but then a manager walked out and said that yes, indeed Girl Talk was playing, but not until midnight. I have to work, so I knew I wasn't going to make it. A few of my friends did stay, and I asked for a full report. They stayed until midnight, and Girl Talk never came on. Apparently, the manager had heard the rumors and had decided to confirm them to gain the business. Girl Talk later tweeted, "I don't know what deux is, I never told anyone I was playing there, fuck anyone who said I was."

Dallas, you get some points for actually being able to negotiate and get Big Boi and Girl Talk to play a free show on your campus, but of course you couldn't pull it off. Once again you made an epic fail out of the entire situation, and continued to make it worse by reinforcing untrue rumors. Get your shit together! -20 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment